Tuesday, October 28, 2008

First Aid Kit: A story of discovery

Many folks ask me how I discover music. I wish I had an easy answer. I download a lot of stuff (both albums and playlists, which sometimes inform album purchases) via torrent or other filesharing options, I also read the occasional blog, and hear about a lot of good music from coworkers and friends. I don't use Pandora, I scrobble to Last.fm but never look at it, and I keep the iTunes Genius sidebar open but I'm not sure why (it's not like I look at iTunes when I listen to music--I click once and it plays).
I can speak in broad generalizations all day, but I thought it best to take you through how I found out about a couple teenage sisters from Sweden in a band called First Aid Kit. Every time I play them for someone the immediate response is "Who is this??" (in a good way). But I can't take credit for finding them.
I first found out about First Aid Kit from Peter Rauh via a Twitter message: "Some inspiration for the day: Two Swedish teenagers covering Fleet Foxes in the woods (no lie) http://tinyurl.com/5svkol" The link takes you to this video:


After I told Peter how much I loved the video, he told me he heard about it via Light In The Attic.
I downloaded the mp3 of the song for free, and checked out their MySpace profile. From there, I bought their record from Klicktrack.
After more than a few listens in a short time span, I knew others would enjoy the music, so I published an OpenTape player on my website:





I told a number of friends about the music, and my friend Britti even thought she played them on her radio show. Unfortunately, she had come across another band by the same name, this one from Spain -- goes to show you the importance of picking an original name for a band.
At any rate, I hope you all enjoy First Aid Kit as much as I do. I think they're mature beyond their years, and anyone who fashions themselves after the Fleet Foxes is A-OK in my book.

2 comments:

ps chase said...

ha, this was great to read. I'm one of those guys that people ask about new music all the time - and how the hell I found out about it - many times I can't remember the exact trail, but it's a lot like what you described. I'm gen X and remember going to record stores (!) and literally judging the records by the their covers - band A is on BlastFirst so band B must also be ok - or Raymond Pettibon did the cover art for these two records, so.... fascinating stuff to me.

free drunk dad incest stories said...

John was now thrusting with all his might. Ill arrange everything.
audio spanking stories
sex stories kelly fucks a dog
rape victims stories
free hardcore adult stories
male bestiality sex stories
John was now thrusting with all his might. Ill arrange everything.